Contrary to popular belief, you CAN still claim or add a free business listing to Yahoo’s local directory. Here’s how.
In October 2015, Yahoo’s Small Business program, including their local business directory, was spun off as part of the new entity, AAbaco Small Business. Management of the directory was handed over to Yext – a paid directory listing service with a fairly steep annual subscription price. In recent years, many smaller directories like Topix and LocalPages have handed over the reins to Yext completely, making it impossible to add or even fix a listing unless you pay to play.
The good news is that Yahoo has retained the option to add or claim a listing for free – at least for the time being. But they don’t make it easy.
To add or claim your FREE basic Yahoo business listing:
- First, check to see if there’s an existing listing. Go to local.yahoo.com and type in the name of your business and the city.
- On the results page, click “More” and select Local. This will bring up the local map.
- Look for your business in the list of businesses.
- If found, click on the listing to display your business details and click the “Verify your listing” link.
If there was no listing for your business, go to https://www.yext.com/pl/yahoo-claims/index.html , enter your business name, phone number, your first and last name, and click the Find My Listings button.
- This will take you to a Yext scan results page. Close the notification window (if any) and click the big Update button at the top or bottom of the page to go to the Preview page.
- Update or add data on the Preview screen and click Continue.
This will bring you to a screen featuring Yext paid plans
- Scroll to the MIDDLE of the screen and click the small print link that says “Claim your Basic Listing only on Yahoo.”
- This will take you to the checkout screen with a zero dollar amount. Confirm your information, agree to the Terms and Conditions, click the box that you are not a robot, and submit your order.
Almost done! There are still a few more steps before your listing will be verified, live and under your control.
- Verify your email and create an account on Yext. The verification email will provide the URL and instructions.
- Submit proof to Yext that your business exists at the given address. They will accept scans of official business documents, a utility bill showing the business name and address, or even the address label on a magazine sent to your business – they’re not that picky. You can upload them online to your Yext account.
- Once your business information has been verified, you’ll have a live, claimed, free Yahoo business listing!
Oh, and keep your Yext login in a safe place – you’ll need it to make any changes in the future!